As part of my upcoming hibernation I'm trying to get a few things in our home organized. I made a little progress Saturday when I took a carload of donations to Goodwill, even though it was snowing and the roads were icy. Now I'm in the process of emptying my sewing/hobby/filing/printer room so it can be painted and reorganized. Despite its long name, this room is very small (many people have bigger closets) so it is quite a challenge to make it work. I'm taking it very seriously though, to the point of reading a book on organizing.
The good thing about an organizing project is the way it prevents impulse shopping. Accepting that this room is overflowing is definitely keeping me from wanting to add anything to the collection. I'm trying to simplify and make use of what I have, instead of storing a lot of things I never use.
These are some of the things I got rid of this weekend:
- Two full-length mirrors that we bought for our last house, never got around to putting up, and really don't need in this house (plus the doors here have panels that I don't want to cover with mirrors.)
- A vintage chair-back turned into a wall shelf - charming but it doesn't really suit this house.
- All my books on card-making. (When do I have time to make cards?)
- Outgrown 12-year-old boy clothes (I already gave my friend with a smaller boy 5 boxes of hand-me-downs earlier this year - she's starting to hide when she sees me coming.)
- Children's DVDs.
- A round antique mirror that I bought at an auction in Nebraska for $1. It weighs a ton.
- All the curtains that were originally hanging in our house when we bought it.
- A box full of dishes and pottery that we never use.


I'm doing the same thing here. Hoping to move my craft supplies to a space in the garage. I just need it out of my sunroom.
ReplyDeleteI make cards every now and then but you can find store bought ones now for a dollar so that makes making one expensive. :)
Looks like the trading post is a little dusty!
Thanks for your visit.